Gordon Ramsay's mint chocolate truffles
Gordon says: 'At home, I’m raising my own little brigade of sous chefs, who are always willing to help with any recipe that involves chocolate and the possibility of licking the spoon – this one certainly appeals'
• Makes: 80-90
• Prep time: 30 mins
• Cooking time: 1 hr chilling time
Gordon says: 'Instead of mint, you might like to flavour the chocolate truffles with a splash of brandy, or grated orange zest and a little Grand Marnier, or even fresh chilli to give a surprising but delicious kick.'
• 250ml double cream
• 250ml single cream
• small bunch of mint
• 500g dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids)
• 130g butter, diced
• 130g clear honey
Coating (one or more of the following)
• cocoa powder
• crushed chocolate flake bars,
• crushed amaretti biscuits,
• finely chopped pistachio nuts or almonds
1. Pour both creams into a medium saucepan. Lightly bash the mint sprigs with a wooden spoon to release their fragrance and add to the pan. Heat very gently for 5–6 minutes to infuse the cream with the mint.
2. Meanwhile, break up the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the diced butter and honey.
3. Strain the hot cream through a sieve onto the chocolate, butter and honey, stirring as you do so; discard the mint sprigs. Continue to stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth.
4. Pour the mixture into a wide, shallow dish, cover and chill in the fridge for an hour or until firm.
5. Scatter your chosen coating(s) on separate plates. Take the truffle mix from the fridge and, using a teaspoon, scoop out a portion and shape into a sphere by quickly rolling it in your hands. (Do this speedily to avoid the truffle melting with the warmth of your hands.) Toss the truffle in your preferred coating and arrange on a plate. Repeat with the rest.
6. Place the truffles in a shallow plastic container, seal and refrigerate until firm and ready to serve. Eat within 3–4 days.
Guideline Daily Amount for 2,000 calories per day are: 70g fat, 20g saturated fat, 90g sugar, 6g salt.
By Gordon Ramsay