Make Self-Care a priority in your life. Many people feel guilty about making time for themselves, but when you’re stressed and exhausted, you have less energy to give to others. When you begin to make self-care practices a priority in your day-to-day life, you will find that you have much more energy and patience to care for your clients. Self-care is something that you need to decide to do, because no one else will do it for you. That is true for every person, but especially for those who assist in healing and helping others.
Write yourself a list of activities that spell self-care for you! It’s very personal and different for everybody. But here are some suggestions you might want to incorporate in your list:
1. Reiki yourself daily. At least 10-20 minutes.
2. Meditate every morning. 10-20 minutes. The nice thing is that you can combine the meditation with your own Reiki treatment. That can be very time efficient.
3. Exercise regularly. That can be as simple as going for a walk in the park or taking the stairs instead of the elevator. But it’s important to move your own physical energy to release the stress and tension you may have picked up from your Reiki sessions.
4. Cut your cords. After every treatment you give, make sure to wash your hands with cold water or cut your energy cords to the client, to make sure the energy stops flowing from you. Cutting cords can be as simple as pretending that your right arm is a sword and moving it from top to bottom in front of your body. It’s your intention that cuts the energy. You could do this in your mind as well
.5. Put your worries into a little box. Before you give a Reiki session, make sure that you are in a positive state of mind. You could visualize in your mind a little treasure box in which you put all of your own worries, stresses, irritations or arguments you may have had. Tell yourself that you can take them out of the box when you have completed the session.
6. Keep your sense of humour. Laughter can instantly shift your vibration as well as your client’s. If you make little jokes, you can lighten the atmosphere and make the client feel more at ease. I find first time clients are often quite tense and anxious when they lie down on the table. I say things like: You are allowed to breathe! It’s okay! That at least puts a smile on their face. Remind your clients that their body can heal itself and they are the ones who own the power. You are not healing them, but you assist their bodies in healing themselves. You are just there to help.
7. Pamper yourself throughout the week. Here are some suggestions:
Make yourself a big cup of herbal tea and sit down in a quiet place and read a book or a magazine. If your home is not quiet, go to neighbourhood cafe.
Journal and write out all of your worries. Do a brain dump and let everything flow out. Or write your list of grievances on a piece of paper, tear it up afterwards and throw it in the garbage can where it belongs.
Go to a museum or art gallery for the afternoon.
Visit a bookstore or a library and ask your spirit guides to lead you to the book you most need to read right now.
Take your journal and write on top of the page: Dear God (Higher Self, Spirit Guide, Universe, etc.), what do I need to know right now? Then start writing without thinking and see what comes up. This can be extremely insightful. I do this almost every morning. It comforts and centers me right away.
As you go about your day, always check in with your intuition or Higher Self. Help your Higher Consciousness to make every-day decisions. Like, which way is the best route to drive home right now? What’s good to make for dinner? What’s the best way to spend my morning today? Who could help me with this particular challenge I have? etc.
8. Forgive yourself. Give yourself a break. Be gentle and compassionate with yourself. Forgive yourself for all the mistakes you have made in the past, and know that you are human, and humans make mistakes, it’s part of the “job description”. How else would we know what not to do?
9. Say no to everything that doesn’t nourish your soul. Never say yes just out of obligation even though inside you are squirming and screaming. Listen to your inner wisdom when you make commitments regarding your time and energy. It’s perfectly okay to say: ‘No, I’m not interested.’ ‘No, I have other priorities right now.’ ‘No, but I know someone you could contact who would love to help you.’ etc.
10. Surround yourself with kind people. Respect yourself enough to walk away from friends who don’t treat you with the love and respect you deserve. Friendships should be mutually nurturing and supportive. Hang out with people who re-energize you and love you just as you are.